Frequently Asked QuestionsHere's what you should know before trying a class at Flex.
Where are you located?
We’re next to Headquarters Beercade inside a brick building that says 213 W Insitute Place. When you arrive, please dial 3539 on the call box and we are in suite 709 on the 7th floor. There is plenty of street parking in front of the studio. It is metered parking during the day but after 6pm most streets are FREE. Otherwise, take the Brown Line to the Chicago stop and head North. We are just one short block off of Chicago on Wells/Institute Place.
This is my first time at Flex Pilates, should I do private sessions first?
Unless you have injuries or restrictions private sessions are not required. Our workout is specifically designed for a group setting. You don’t need any previous Pilates, yoga or dance experience to attend a class, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself to be an all-star right off the bat. The first class is never your best class, and that’s okay. Arrive early so that your instructor can walk you through the bed prior to the session and give you beginner modifications as needed.
What’s the difference between your workout and traditional Pilates?
Our workout is designed to improve strength, flexibility and posture, to build lean muscle, and to keep the body mobile. While our sessions do include Pilates-inspired moves, we also incorporate exercises from other fitness disciplines. We do not focus on reps and sets; instead, we use continuous movements and combinations of muscle groups working to fatigue. Our energy-filled sessions, complete with pumping music and detailed instruction, make working out fun, safe and completely addicting.
How often should I attend classes to see results?
This depends on the individual. Listen to your body to find a routine that works for you. We recommend 3 sessions per week to see results while allowing your muscles to properly recover and repair.
What should I bring and NOT bring to class?
- For safety and sanitary reasons, we REQUIRE EVERYONE to wear socks — ideally non-slip tread socks. No tennis shoes are needed for class.
- Bring a towel and bottle of water.
- Wear comfortable clothes that you can easily move in, much like you would for a yoga class, the gym or a backyard football.
- Do not wear jewelry or strong perfumes.
- Your credit card is on file, so no need to bring your wallet, unless you prefer not to make your payment online. Please note that no classes are confirmed if you’re not prepaid.